Everyone wants their deck lighting to look spectacular and wants to save money doing it. With so many options to choose from (like low voltage deck lighting, or solar power), it can be hard to decide where to begin. Below are some questions to point you in the right direction and get you started.
These can range from subtle lights to show a path to the house or through the garden to highly decorative to give a path a custom look.
Choosing a Style
Attach to walls are come in a variety of styles. They are good for areas close to the home. Attached a wall lantern to a motion detector and you have a stunning safety feature.
Attach to fence post. They work well in defining a yard or patio deck.
Hang from the ceiling of decks. They can provide an inside look to an outdoor area. They are very good at highlighting specific areas including tables and sitting areas.
Choosing a Transformer
Transformers come in three types.
- Manually operated – You turn the lights on and off by hand.
- Automatic Timers – The lights turn off and on a set schedule.
- Photocell-eye – These lights turn on at dusk and off at dawn.
Choosing a Power Source
Solar power or electrical power source.
- Electrical power lighting will require a 120 volt weather proof outlet, i.e., you will need a GFCI outdoor outlet.
- Solar power lights use stored solar energy to power the lights at night. Solar lights are ecologically friendly and can save you money.
Outdoor Lighting Choices (OLC) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. When you click on and then purchase anything you find on this site, OLC gets a small commission from Amazon, while you pay no difference at all. OLC is also a participant in other affiliate advertising programs. Please ready my affiliate disclosure statement for more information.
Thank you for visiting Outdoor Lighting Choices.