1. Outdoor lighting is also referred to as landscape lighting.
2. Outdoor lighting not only extends the hours you can spend outside entertaining, reading or eating, but also provides security enhancements to your home.
3. While there are many options when it comes to layout, there are only three basic types of outdoor/landscape lighting systems. They are low-voltage, high-voltage and solar.
4. When shopping for outdoor lighting fixtures, be sure to look for the UL rated approval for damp locations label so you know your fixtures will stand up to varying weather conditions.
5. Before getting started, be sure to create a landscape lighting plan.
6. Once creating your plan, consider the different styles and functions of the lighting fixtures you have to choose from, including the architectural style of your home, and different lighting techniques available to you.
7. Spend some time getting to know something about outdoor and landscape lighting available today.
8. Learn about Dark Sky regulated lights and EnergyStar before making any final decisions.
9. Know the difference between task lighting, accent lighting and general lighting as you create your outdoor lighting landscape plan.
10. Have fun creating the outdoor space of your dreams!